HOW TO TREAT A SUNBURNED PIG
Pigs and sun don’t go together…but you’d be hard pressed to convince a pig otherwise! They love to be warm and toasty! But the problem lies in their lack of hair or fur to protect their skin. All pigs can get sunburn, even dark pigs! It is strongly advised to keep them shaded and work them in the late afternoon hours when the sun’s rays are weaker. Here are a few steps to help prevent or treat sunburn on a pig.
PREVENTION OF SUNBURN
- Evening Hour Training or Exercise – The evening hours are best to work and exercise your pig because the sun rays are not as strong. Avoid the midday sun as it is too strong for them. Especially with a white pig!
- Sunscreen Lotion – Apply and rub sunscreen onto the back, neck & ears each time the pig is worked in the sun. Sunscreen lotion can be added to the pig spray mixture and easily applied to your pig daily.
- Shade – Keep the pen shaded from the morning and midday rays. Evening hour sun are more tolerable to their skin.
- Heat Lamps – Make sure the heat lamp is hung 18” from the pigs back when they are standing. Even heat lamps can burn the skin if they are hung too low.
TREATMENT OF SUNBURN
Aloe Vera Leaf – Aloe Vera fresh off the plant is amazing and effective. It is by far the fastest way to healing a sunburn. Cut, wash and strip the top skin and prickly edges off the leaf. Apply the slimmy aloe directly to the sunburn areas. Reapply 2x daily until the skin is healed.
Bottled 100% Aloe Vera – If you are using bottled Aloe Vera Gel, make sure that it is 100% aloe with NO ALCOHOL! Read the label carefully, because it’s sometimes hard to tell. Many Aloe products have lidocaine for pain relief or other ingredients. You only want to use 100% Aloe Vera.
The example below is a pig that was sunburned on a Sunday and healed by Wednesday using Aloe Vera plant leaves fresh off the plant! This by far was the quickest recover that I have witnessed. It is fast, healthy and easy.
- Shade Cloth – Over the Pen
- Aloe Vera Plant or 100% Aloe Vera Gel
- Skin Conditioner with Sunscreen